If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (402) 466-4004

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Extension Cord Safety

4/20/2018 (Permalink)

Always inspect the cord prior to use to ensure the insulation is not cut or damaged, exposed conducting wires can put you at risk for fire, burns and electrical shock.   Discard damaged cords, cords that become hot, or cords with exposed wiring. 

Don'ts

  • Do not use extension cords in place of permanent wiring.
  • Never unplug an extension cord by pulling on the cord; pull on the plug. 
  • Do not remove the prongs of an electrical plug. If plug prongs are missing, loose, or bent, replace the entire plug.
  • Do not use an adapter or extension cord to defeat a standard grounding device. (e.g., only place three-prong plugs in three-prong outlets; do not alter them to fit in a two-prong outlet.)         
  • Do not run cords above ceiling tiles or through walls.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) estimates about 4,000 injuries associated with electric extension cords are treated in hospital emergency rooms each year. About half of the injuries involve fractures, lacerations, contusions or sprains from people tripping over extension cords. CPSC also estimates that about 3,300 residential fires originate from extension cords each year, killing 50 people and injuring about 270 others. The most frequent causes of such fires are short circuits, overloading, damage and/or misuse of extension cords. Regardless of whether or not it's being used, as long as a power extension cord is plugged into an outlet, it's conducting electricity. To avoid potential safety hazards, always remember to unplug extension cords when they're not in use!  

Other News

View Recent Posts